Christmas is one of the most anticipated dates of the year and, with it, comes the traditional Christmas dinner. Christmas dinner is a time when family and friends gather to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. It’s a special occasion where people exchange gifts, share stories and, of course, eat a lot. And one of the most traditional dishes of Christmas dinner is panettone. Therefore, we could not fail to bring here a homemade panettone recipe nutritious and fluffy, easy to make and very tasty!
The panettone is a typical Italian cake that has gained many fans in Brazil. It is made with wheat dough, eggs, milk, butter and candied fruit and/or raisins. And it is precisely because of these ingredients that panettone has a high carbohydrate content – which is not ideal for anyone who is on a diet or follows a healthy lifestyle.
But don’t despair! If you want to know how to make a delicious and healthy homemade panettone for your Christmas dinner, and to eat all year round, just keep reading this article. Here you will find an easy and practical recipe to make at home and surprise your whole family at this year’s dinner.
The history of panettone and its relationship with Christmas
The panettone is a typical Italian cake that was originally made with just flour, sugar and raisins. Over time, however, he gained several other ingredients and became increasingly popular. Currently, it is possible to find several types of panettone on supermarket shelves, including gluten-free and lactose-free options.
The history of panettone is quite old and originates in the Italian city of Milan. Tradition has it that the first cake was made by a baker named Toni Baumana in the 18th century. At the time, the cake was known as “pan de Toni” and it was only served on special occasions, such as Christmas.
Over time, panettone gained new ingredients and became increasingly popular. In the 19th century, it was already possible to find recipes that included eggs, milk and even candied fruit. Currently, it is possible to find numerous variations of the typical Italian cake on Brazilian supermarket shelves.
However, there are still some people who make panettone the traditional way, using only the original ingredients of the recipe. In conclusion, whatever the type of panettone chosen for Christmas dinner, one thing is certain: it will always be present on Brazilian tables on this very special date!
Why is traditional panettone low in nutrition?
The traditional panettone is an extremely high-calorie dessert that, in addition to contributing to weight gain, can be harmful to health. Certainly, the large amount of sugar and fat present in the product make panettone a little nutritious food. Furthermore, excessive consumption of sugar may not make for a balanced life.
What makes healthy homemade panettone a more nutritious option
When it comes to choosing a panettone for Christmas, many people believe that the most nutritious option is the healthy homemade panettone recipe. However, this is due to the fact that this panettone is a lower carb version of the traditional Christmas cake. After all, we use low-glycemic flours and also nuts and oilseeds instead of traditional candied fruits and raisins, which in turn are rich in sugar. Therefore, the healthy panettone also usually contains less sugar and fats than other types of panettone.
Ingredients for homemade panettone recipe
- 6 whole eggs
- 250 g of almond flour (or any other oilseed of your choice)
- 8 tablespoons of xylitol sweetener (or any other sweetener of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon of xanthan gum (or psyllium – 3 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons of chemical yeast
- 1 teaspoon of panettone essence
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or ghee
- 1 cup mixed oilseeds (almonds, chestnuts, walnuts, macadamia, hazelnuts, pistachios)
Step-by-step preparation method
- Beat the eggs very well with a fouet.
- Slowly add the rest of the ingredients and mix well, adding the yeast and xanthan gum last, mixing gently.
- Delicately add the filling that will be the mix of chosen nuts.
- Transfer the dough to a 500 g paper panettone mold.
- Place in the oven at 210 degrees for approximately 55 minutes to bake.
- Remove and serve! Bon Appetit.
Tips to vary your panettone recipe
- Another option is also to use finely chopped 70% cocoa chocolate as a filling, and then we will have a delicious Chocotone!
- As a suggestion, you can melt some 70% cocoa chocolate to put on top as a topping. It’s perfect!
- It is delicious and tasty as well as a suggestion to use chopped dried fruits such as apricots, plums, dates, both in the filling and to decorate on top. It’s worth a try!
We certainly hope that you enjoyed the recipe, and if so, that you make it and enjoy it with your family, and share it with friends. So, always remember to follow us on our social media to stay up to date with the latest in nutritious and tasty cuisine. See you next time!