Ilhabela is one of the most charming islands on the coast of São Paulo, offering visitors an exuberant natural setting and a series of activities to enjoy.
In addition, it is a great option for those looking for a quiet place away from the hustle and bustle of the city, but still with good accommodation and gastronomy options. In this article, you will discover the secrets of Ilhabela and you will fall in love with this island paradise even more.
Important to know before traveling to Ilhabela
To get to the Island, it is necessary to take the Ilhabela ferry that leaves from São Sebastião. The journey takes about 20 minutes and departures are every 30 minutes. The values vary according to the days of the week and the type of vehicle, but for cars the cost is between R$19 and R$28. In addition, it is possible to schedule the crossing time at city hall website, thus avoiding queues.
Another important issue is in relation to the dreaded blackflies, which appear on the island due to its native forest and cause discomfort due to itching after the bite.
These mosquitoes are so associated with the place that a specific repellent was created, called CITROilha. It is easy to find this product anywhere on the island as in pharmacies, markets and also in the city center. So, there is no excuse not to visit this wonderful island!
The Natural Beauties of Ilhabela
Ilhabela is known for its beautiful natural surroundings, which include beaches, forests and mountains. The island has more than 40 beaches and several of them can only be reached by boat.
Some of the most famous beaches are: Praia do Julião, Praia do Curral, Praia da Feiticeira and Praia de Castelhanos. The mountain trails are a great option for those who enjoy nature and adventure. One of the best known is the Pico do Baepi Trail.
- Praia do Julião: is one of the most popular beaches in Ilhabela, offering good options for restaurants and bars.
- Praia do Curral: it is a beautiful and quiet beach, ideal for those looking for a more secluded place.
- Praia da Feiticeira: it is one of the most beautiful beaches on the island, attracting many tourists for its crystalline waters and stunning scenery.
- Praia de Castelhanos: a paradisiacal beach with clear waters, with access only via boat or 4×4. It has the famous Mirante do Gato, a must see. The view from there is worth every second of the visit!
- Bonete Beach: this is one of the most beautiful beaches on the island and can only be reached by boat
- Praia do Perequê: located in the center of the island, it is not among the most beautiful, but there you will find great bars and restaurants with very attractive prices.
- Praia do Jabaquara: beautiful beach with clear waters and incredible scenery, access to it can be by boat and by car also through a road with an unpaved section, but it is still easy to drive .
We have listed here just a few of the many wonderful beaches in Ilhabela. It is certainly a destination to be dazzled and discover an infinity of options.
Best trails in Ilhabela
The island also offers a variety of trails for nature and adventure lovers. Whether for a peaceful walk or to challenge your trekking skills, you will find the ideal trail for your profile in Ilhabela.
Morro do Baepi Trail
This is one of the best known and most challenging trails in Ilhabela. The trail starts near Itaguaçu beach and takes hikers to the top of Morro do Baepi, offering spectacular views of the island and the sea. The climb is steep and demanding, but the reward at the top is unforgettable. The trail is marked and well signposted, but it’s important to be in good physical condition and be prepared to face some steep climbs.
Enchovas Beach Trail
This trail starts at Praia do Bonete and takes hikers through a landscape of beach and forest, and offering spectacular views of the sea. It’s a relatively easy trail, with few steep climbs, and is ideal for those wanting to explore the island’s coastline. A curiosity of this beach is that it is inhabited by only one family.
Agua Branca Trail
This is a lighter and shorter trail, ideal for those looking for a relaxing walk. The trail starts at Praia da Água Branca and takes hikers through the rainforest, full of lush vegetation and waterfalls. Along the trail, it is possible to see several wild animals, including exotic birds and monkeys. It’s a great choice for families with children or those looking for an easy hike.
Tips for hiking in Ilhabela
Before starting your adventure on Ilhabela’s trails, it is important to follow some tips to ensure your safety and well-being:
– Always carry enough water and food for your journey;
– Wear suitable clothing and footwear for the chosen trail;
– Avoid walking alone and prefer to do the trails in groups;
– Do not neglect insect protection measures such as repellents and sunscreen;
– Respect the environment, do not litter and follow designated trails.
The island offers a variety of trails for all types of adventurers, from easy hikes to challenging trekking. In addition to providing incredible landscapes and a lot of adventure, walking along Ilhabela’s trails is a great way to connect with nature and with yourself. If you are looking for a destination for your next vacation or an outdoor trip, Ilhabela is the right place.
Activities and Leisure in Ilhabela
In addition to the natural beauties, the Island offers a series of activities to enjoy, such as: diving, canoeing, boat trips and kayaking. It is also possible to shop at the handicraft and regional product stores in the historic center, as well as try the local cuisine.
- Diving: is one of the most popular activities in Ilhabela, with many dive sites to explore the stunning marine life that exists there.
- Canoeing: some beaches on the island are ideal for this practice because they are very quiet and it is possible to find places that offer classes in the sport.
- Boat trips: are a great option to discover the beaches and natural scenery of the island in a different and enchanting way.
- Kayak tours: are a great option to explore the beaches and natural scenery in a peaceful and adventurous way.
Shopping and Dining
- Crafts and regional products stores: on the island, you can find crafts and regional products stores, such as ceramics, fabrics and cosmetics.
- Gastronomy: Ilhabela’s cuisine is rich and varied, offering options for all tastes, such as seafood, fish, meat and typical dishes from the region.
Accommodation in Ilhabela
Ilhabela offers a wide variety of accommodation options, from luxury hotels to inns, vacation rentals and campsites. It is possible to find options for all budgets and tastes.
Some accommodation tips that we always indicate here include a good search for Booking.com, TripAdvisor and Airbnb. Surely you will find the right option for your comfort and also for your pocket. Always remember to check user reviews and specific information about the chosen spots.
Some common questions about the Island
When is the best time to visit Ilhabela? The months of April and May are great to visit the island as there is little rain and mild temperature, while during the summer (December to March) the island is more agitated, temperatures are higher and rains are frequent.
Do you need to rent a car to visit the island? It is not necessary to rent a car to visit, as the island has a good public transport network and taxis. In addition, it is possible to take boat trips to discover the island’s beaches and attractions.
Is Ilhabela a good option for a family trip? Yes, it is a great option for a family trip, with activities and tours for all ages, as well as safe and quiet beaches for children to play.
Is there a time of year when Ilhabela is crowded? Yes, Ilhabela can be crowded during school holidays, long holidays and summer, so it is important to plan your trip in advance.
What is the best place to dive in Ilhabela? One of the most accessible places to dive there is Ilha das Cabras, but there are a huge number of places to dive, whether you are a beginner or not in the activity.
Ilhabela is a charming island full of charms, offering activities for all ages and tastes. With its white sand beaches and crystalline sea, it is the perfect destination for those looking for tranquility, adventure and contact with nature. In addition, the island has a wide variety of accommodation and gastronomy options, making it a great choice for family trips, with friends or as a couple. Plan your trip to the Island now and discover all the charms of this paradise island. For more detailed information about the island, we recommend the websiteilhabela.com.br . Be sure to check out so many other contents on our portal. We hope this helped and see you next time!